Dedicated Guide For Life's Most Important Moments

  1. Home
  2.  → Grandparents’ Rights

We Can Help With Grandparents’ Rights

Grandparents are a very important part of a child’s life, and these relationships should never be devalued. Children rely on a network of caring adults to provide for their emotional well-being and developmental growth. In general, we strongly recommend that grandparents avoid the court system. However, when necessary, one or more grandparents may petition the courts for visitation. In extreme cases, grandparents may petition the court for actual custody.

At Silliker & Reinhold Law Office, our attorneys understand that family law rarely exists for your happiest moments. Instead, family law is a way back to stability. If you are ready to speak with an attorney, call our office today at 717-671-1500.

Understanding How The Court Views Grandparents’ Rights

Unfortunately, grandparents have very few legal rights under the law. Pennsylvania laws do provide for grandparents’ legal visitation and custody in some, very limited cases. When determining whether or not to award legal visitation rights to a grandparent, the court evaluates:

  • The parents’ existing relationship. If both parents agree that a grandparent should be denied access to a child, the court in such cases rarely grants visitation.
  • The relationship between a child and grandparent. The court examines if the grandparent and grandchild relationship is healthy and long-standing.
  • The best interests of the child. If the child is unsafe in a home or if the child has an emotional, physical or financial dependency on the grandparent, then visitation may be in the child’s best interest.

Grandparents play an important role in child development. While we typically suggest noncourt methods for resolving these issues, our attorneys can help you develop your case and advocate for you in court.

Call Our Firm At 717-671-1500

Whatever your family’s needs, our attorney will listen and will prepare to fight for your rights. Email our firm to speak with a lawyer who can help evaluate your options.