Dedicated Guide For Life's Most Important Moments

How do I make a change to my divorce settlement agreement?

On Behalf of | Jun 1, 2021 | Child Custody |

Divorce couples may want to make changes to their property division settlement agreement. When one spouse is seeking a child custody modification or child support modification, they should be familiar with the process of how they can go about it.

Modifying child support

Child support modifications and child custody modifications can be made in certain situations. It is important to know what those situations and circumstances are so the parent can go about requesting one when needed. The other parent may wish to oppose the change which is why familiarity with the process is beneficial for everyone involved. For a parent feeling the strain of unpaid child support, or who is unable to pay child support, or a parent who is seeking custody or to see their child more, knowing how to make changes to child support and child custody can be of great importance.

Modifying child custody

Child custody modifications and child support modifications may be made based on a significant change in circumstances. What may qualify as a significant change in circumstances can include the loss of a job, a major relocation or a change in the marital status of the parent. It may also include a significant change in the needs of the child.

The family law process can help divorced parents address both their child custody and child support concerns by looking at the request and determining if there has been a significant change in circumstances. The parent making the request should know how to substantiate the change they are claiming. It is important to keep in mind that the change will not be official until approved by the family law court but it can be essential for parents to be familiar with the process and know how to get the ball rolling.